Making oil with wet method can be done through the manufacture of coconut milk beforehand or can also be pressed from the coconut meat after frying. Coconut milk is a liquid extracted from grated coconut with water. When coconut milk is silenced, it will slowly happen separation of parts rich with oil with parts poor with oil. Part oil-rich is referred to as cream, and part oil-poor is called skim.
Traditional Wet Method
Traditional wet method is very simple can be performed using equipment commonly found in the family kitchen. In this way, first performed the extraction of coconut milk from grated coconut. Then the coconut milk is heated to evaporate the water and agglomerate parts of not oil called blondo. Blondo is separated from coconut oil. Finally, blondo squeezed to remove residual oil.
Method Wet Fermentation
Method wet fermentation is somewhat different from traditional wet method. In wet method of fermentation, coconut milk allowed to stand for separating skim from cream. Furthermore, cream is fermented to facilitate clotting of the non-oil (primarily proteins) of oil during heating. Microbes that develop during fermentation, especially the acid-producing microbes. The resulting acid causes protein of coconut milk clot and separate easily upon heating. Stages of the process of fermentation (Research and Technology, 2001) are as follows:
1) Coconut meat is shredded. Results grated (shredded coconut) pressed so that issue coconut milk. Dregs of coconut meat added water (dregs of coconut meat: water = 1: 0.2) and then pressed again. This process is repeated 5 times. Coconut milk obtained from each time pressing is mixed into one.
2) Coconut milk put into containers separation skim for 12-hours, will be separation skim at bottom and cream on top. After separation, the channel taps expenditure of the separator container is opened so that skim flow out and remaining cream. Then the cream is removed and placed in separate containers from the skim.
3) Cream is mixed with tapai yeast (cream: tapai yeast= 1: 0.005, or 0.05%). Furthermore, the cream is left for 20-24 hours so that a process of fermentation by microbes contained in the tapai yeast.
4) Cream which has undergone fermentation is heated until the water evaporates and the protein clumping. These clumps of protein called blondo. Heating is usually held for 15 minutes.
5) Blondo which floats on the oil is separated and then pressed, so remove the oil. This oil is mixed with oil before, then reheated for 5 minutes.
6) The oil obtained was filtered with gauze coated 4. Then oil are given butylated hidroxytoluene (200 mg per kg of oil).
7) Oil are packed with boxes of cans, glass bottles or plastic bottles.