The University of Guelph traces its origins back to when the Ontario government bought 500 acres (200 ha) of farmland and opened the Ontario School of Agriculture on May 1, 1874, which was renamed the Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) in 1880. The Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) originated at the agricultural laboratories of the Toronto Normal School, and was officially founded in 1874 as an associate agricultural college of the University of Toronto. Since 1964, it has become affiliated with the University of Guelph, which operates four campuses throughout Ontario.
The University of Guelph is ranked as one of Canada's top comprehensive universities because of our commitment to student learning and innovative research. University of Guelph are dedicated to cultivating the essentials for our quality of life - water, food, environment, animal and human health, community, commerce, culture and learning.
The University community also shares a profound sense of social responsibility, an obligation to address global issues and a concern for international development.
The term "college" has a long-standing connotation at Guelph and is used within the university to designate a group of departments that operate within a structure that is often called a "faculty" at other universities. The University of Guelph consists of seven faculties (or colleges, as they're known at Guelph):
1. College of Arts
2. College of Biological Science
3. College of Management and Economics
4. College of Physical & Engineering Science
5. College of Social & Applied Human Sciences
6. Ontario Agricultural College
7. Ontario Veterinary College
Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) is a global leader in innovative life sciences education and research for environment, agriculture, food, and rural communities: Environment, Agriculture, Food.