The Primary Production Department (PPD) was formed in 1959 through the merger of five Divisions namely, the Agriculture Division, Veterinary division, Co-operative Division, Fisheries Division and the Rural Division, to provide a coordinated approach to developing and regulating the local farming and fishing industry.
Over the decades from the 1960s to 2000s, PPD's role underwent major transformation as Singapore's farming activities diminished and it took on additional new functions of food safety testing and facilitation of agri-trade.
Safe food, healthy animals and plants for Singapore; trusted and respected globally.
· Ensure a resilient supply of safe food;
· Ensure the health & safeguard the welfare of animals;
· Safeguard the health of plants;
· Facilitate agri-trade; and
· Nurture and inspire staff to be the best we can be!
The swirl is symbolic of AVA's role in the protection of the living environment in Singapore and safeguarding the health of animals, fish and plants.